Monday, June 27, 2011

Weekly Photo Challenge Week 1: Vegetarian

I've always been interested in photography.  To me, there is something magical about being able to perfectly capture a place, an idea, a moment in time.  For a long time I've thought about truly delving into the art and learning all I can about taking amazing photos.  Now I'm finally turning thought into action.  Armed with my handy new dSLR, I'm heading out into the world to develop my skills and hopefully have fun along the way.  

Over dinner one night, I mentioned to Josh (my other half) that I wouldn't mind trying a weekly photo challenge, where the goal would be to take one photo that perfectly illustrated the theme for that week.  I thought it would give me a chance to not only practice my technique, but to discover new subjects, and see the things around me in new and different ways.  Josh suggested that he give me my weekly themes.  I was game.  Luckily, I'm married a smart, creative guy.  I knew he would come up some interesting concepts.

His theme for the first week was "Vegetarian."  My first thought was to pull together a group of brightly colored vegetables, possibly necessitating a trip to a local farmer's market.   Somehow, that seemed too easy.  Then I landed on what I thought was the perfect idea.  I just needed some cows.

My plan was to have some sort of vegetation in the foreground and cows in the background, illustrating the choice of a vegetarian lifestyle over a carnivorous one.  I figured that the easiest way to accomplish this in Indiana would be to find a cow pasture next to a cornfield.  I didn't think it would be that difficult.  I was wrong.

I drove through something like three different counties before finding any cows, and when I did, they were across the road from the corn.  I just couldn't pull off the shot that I wanted.  So in the end, I settled for corn.  Which is a good thing, since there was a lot of it.



Overall, I'm not thrilled with this photo.  It's just okay.  The theme for next week is "Wild" and I'm hoping to come up with something better this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment